Thursday, July 14, 2016

Pre-Workout Eating: Too Much or Too Little?

Whether you are trying to get back on the field or in the midst of preseason training, greasy fries, loaded calzones, and carb packed alcohol just won't cut it. I can assure you that it will leave you either throwing up during a session or on the couch bloated with zero motivation. So, yes unfortunately it is necessary to watch the quality of foods you put into your body especially during peak training months.


One of my biggest downfalls has always been either eating too much or too little before a workout. One day I will start my sprints and immediately cramp up, and the next day I will pass out during a fitness test (yes, it has happened multiple times). Therefore, I started to do some research on how to properly eat before a hard workout or a game. I came across a blog, Very Well: Sports Medicine, with all the info I could possibly need. Not only does it include nutritional facts, but also training tips, essential gear, and physical therapy recommendations. It is a one stop blog for every athlete’s concerns and interests.

With my under-eating/over-eating concerns, I found an entry, Sports Nutrition Advice: What and When to Eat Before Exercising with all my answers. It breaks down what you should be eating up to 4 hours before a major competition. It included the type of food (carbs, protein, and fats) you should consume and what you should avoid. These tips helped me calculate a perfect balance of food to leave me energized for any type of workout. Safe to say, it saved my life and my fitness tests.

With many trial and errors, I found the perfect regimen for my body. When I am waking up before the sun for the dreadful 6 am conditioning sessions, I go for a Kind Breakfast Bar. It is filling enough with lasting nutrients for tough morning fitness. Even though its painfully early and food does not even sound appetizing, I learned the hard way the importance of eating prior. When it comes to game day, I follow a structured schedule. Using what I read from the entry and understanding my body’s responses, I developed the following eating routine.

  • 4 hours before: Vegetable omelet with a slice of whole grain toast OR grilled chicken, vegetables, and a small side of pasta
  • 2 hours before: Banana and almond butter
  • 30 minutes before: A Gatorade chew and lots of water

As this entry states, everyone is unique and digests food at different rates. Therefore, experiment with what works for you, but make sure to have something before a workout. Conditioning on an empty stomach will leave you dizzy and depleted. Finally, never forget the importance of water. Without it, all of the other nutrients will fail you. Fill up your water bottle and never let it leave your sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment